Friday, July 17, 2015

Pretty picture: Paphiopedilum philippinense var. laevigatum

"Philippinense" is a difficult word to spell correctly. One L and two P's, as opposed to the more common "Phillip," with two L's and one P. Though I suppose if you spend a lot of time thinking or writing about the Philippines, you probably get used to it. (Though, then, do you start having trouble spelling "Phillip?")


I knew Phragmipediums could have ringlety petals (or are they sepals?), but I feel like I didn't know until now that Paphiopedilums could as well.

We haven't seen Paph. philippinense var. laevigatum, as such, on the blog before, but we've seen a named clone:

Paphiopedilum philippinense var. laevigatum 'Twin States' (2011 show)

one non-laevigatum variety:

Paphiopedilum roebelenii (more correctly, Paph. philippinense var. roebelenii) (2012 show)

and three of its hybrids:

Paphiopedilum Berenice (2012 show)
Paphiopedilum Judge Phillip (2012 show)
Paphiopedilum St. Swithin (2011 show; St. Swithin remains one of my all-time favorite orchids)

So I think it's safe to say we've got most of the Paphiopedilum philippinense bases covered.


No comments: