Thursday, December 11, 2014

Schlumbergera seedling no. 064

As with "Helpful Gesture" (no. 054), no. 064's buds are very striking: white, orange, and magenta shading into one another. This photo shows that better than the one for "Helpful Gesture" did.


In this case, though, it seems like the magenta and orange switch places, instead of the orange disappearing. The resulting flower is nice,


but it resembles 'Caribbean Dancer,' its seed parent, a little much. The main difference is that 'Caribbean Dancer' has a much stronger, purer red at the petal ends.

No. 064 is still pretty, I guess. I haven't decided quite how I feel about it yet.


When I put its colors into TinEye, most of the results were of other flowers. The overwhelming majority were pink roses, but I spotted a few Gerbera, Kalanchoe, and Adenium blooms in there too. There was also one incongruous photo showing three or four stacks of coiled pink garden hoses (why?), which kind of amused me, so for the name I'm going with "Rose Hoses." It's not especially evocative of the seedling's blooms, but it's fun to say, and that's the more important thing, really.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been keeping up on your seedlings for a while, but I must have missed when you sowed the seeds. how long has it been from when you sowed them to when they flowered? I'm also a big fan of 'Clownfish', and when you are ready to unleash your creation onto the world I would love some cuttings of that one!

mr_subjunctive said...

Jeff Sers:

Seedlings 001-015 were sown on 18 Feb 2012.
Seedlings 018-035 were sown on 20 July 2012.
Seedlings 039-116 were sown on 11 Aug 2012.

025 "Clownfish" was the first one with a completed bloom (though not necessarily the first to bud). That was in late Feburary 2014, so minimum sow-to-bloom looks to be about a year and a half. A few more bloomed for the first time in April 2014, and then the current group in November/December 2014. Most of the seedlings still haven't bloomed, though that's more because of unsuitable light and temperature than because they're not old enough. Probably.