Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Random plant event: Billbergia NOID

This was blooming at the ex-job last week. Sorry about the crappy photo: the light was bad, the background was cluttered, and there's only so much I can do to clean these things up. Hopefully you get the idea regardless.


I'm not sure the color of the actual flowers comes across properly here; in person, it was sort of navy blue, which is what I thought was the most interesting about the whole thing.

I don't know which Billbergia this is, though I can narrow it down to two: I'm pretty sure the only ones they have are 'Borracho' and 'Hallelujah.'

Billbergia 'Borracho.' (This is my personal plant, from a couple years ago.)

Billbergia 'Hallelujah.'

The sharp-eyed reader will notice immediately that neither of these look like the plant at the top of the post. This is because both varieties need fairly bright light in order to maintain proper color, and this is prime annual-buying season. So they've gotten shoved under tables to make room for Impatiens and stuff, causing the reversion to plain green.

If I had to guess, I'd guess this is 'Hallelujah.' Not only do the leaves appear to have a little bit of reddish-purple in them still, the inflorescence matches the search results for 'Hallelujah' a little better than 'Borracho.' Whichever it is, I'm happy I got to see it.


No comments: