Monday, November 5, 2012

Scale Poetry

(after William Carlos Williams)

This is Just to Say

We have spread to
the orchids
that are in
your basement

and which
you were probably
hoping
would bloom
someday

Fuck you
they were delicious
so sweet
so juicy


-

This is not factually accurate. There are no orchids in the basement, and as far as I know there are no scale on the orchids elsewhere, knock wood. I needed it to be the orchids so the "hoping would bloom" part would make sense. The photo is real, and was one of my plants, but it's a year and a half old.

Poetic license aside, this is precisely the sort of note I imagine scale insects would leave, were they capable.


5 comments:

Liza said...

Aren't those mealy bugs? Scale or not, they are horrible, horrible creatures and I'm about to throw out all my Aloes because of the little shits.

mr_subjunctive said...

The crawlers on some species of scale are large (-ish) and white like mealybugs, but the adults (mostly above and left of the main mass of crawlers in the photo) are brown and rounded like your typical scale.

Lauren said...

I laughed out loud.

I hate scale, too.

Paul said...

Mealies are evil incarnate. (Spidermites and scale are denizens from about the same level of hell.)

sunless optimist said...

Excellent! I'm starting to bring a lot of my Manhattan rooftop plants inside for the winter. This is when they strike, the little bastards...